# CiviCRM 5.6.0
Released October 3, 2018
- **[Bugs resolved](#bugs)**
## <a name="synopsis"></a>Synopsis
| *Does this version...?* | |
| Fix security vulnerabilities? | no |
| Change the database schema? | no |
| Alter the API? | **yes** |
| Require attention to configuration options? | no |
| Fix problems installing or upgrading to a previous version? | no |
| Introduce features? | **yes** |
| Fix bugs? | **yes** |
## <a name="features"></a>Features
### Core CiviCRM
- **Activity display, switch to more performance getActivities function (from
This change improves performance and alignment on the activity tab.
- **Upgrade symfony in lockfile to be 2.8 which is supported version of 2…
This change upgrades symfony from 2.6 to 2.8.44.
- **Improve styling of address block on summary screen
This changes the display of the address block to be more consistent with the
way that email and website are displayed on a contact.
- **Foreign key for civicrm_custom_field.option_group_id
This change adds a foreign key for option group id to the custom field table.
- **Added Pseudoconstant for phone and website type
This Adds a Pseudoconstant for phone and website type.
- **Contact summary - adjust block width when editing
This makes it so that on the inline Contact edit form, when a user clicks to
edit a section that section grows to allow the edit fields to be full sized.
- **Added Pseudoconstant tag for visibility
This change improves the API Explorer by adding a Pseudoconstant tag for
visibility. This makes it so that civicrm_option_value.visibility_id is now a
dropdown field with the visibility option group options.
- **Use static cache for UFMatch lookups to improve performance
This is a performance improvement, specifically it cuts down on load time for
the contact summary page.
- **Replicate fix on PR #12643 for pledge report
This change makes it so on the "Pledged not Paid" report one can filter by
- **[dev/core#217](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/217) Allow
replacement of PrevNextCache implementation (for search screens)
(https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12663)) (Preliminary Work)**
This change makes it so for the purposes of search-caching CiviCRM no longer
fills or reads the columns 'entity_table' and 'entity_id2' in the
civicrm_prevnext_cache table and makes the cacheKey column simpler and more
- **[dev/core#302](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/302) End of life
plans for 5.x php versions & planning for 7.0 EOL
This change Bumps the recommended php version to 7.1 and min recommended to
- **Add SQL modes to developer tab
This change adds SQL Mode info to the developer tab on reports.
- **don't add query to developer tab if we are downloading the data
This is a performance improvement for downloading reports for users who have
permission to view the developer tab on reports.
- **filter current employer report by all groups
This change makes it so one can filter the Current Employer report by all
groups. Prior to this change one could onlt filter this report by static
- **Make contact name into a link on Manage Case for single client
On the Manage Case page for a single client, this change makes the contact
name linked to that contact's summary page.
- **Remove net_amount from the Back office contribution form.
This change removes the net amount field from the back office contribution
form. The net amount is calculated in the BAO.
- **API : Set current domain as a sensible default for payment processor
This change improves the PaymentProcessor.create api action by making
domain_id optional and setting it to use the current domain as the default if
a domain_id is not sent.
- **Enable custom data display on MembershipType form
This makes it so if Membership Type custom fields are configured they are
displayed on the Membership Type form.
### Drupal Integration
- **[dev/core#237](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/237) Hide Drupal8
Administer Menu bar on CiviCRM pages
This change hides the Drupal8 menu bar when a user is on a civi backend page.
- **Drupal Views CiviCRM: Allow Participant record to be used from Event.
This change makes it so in Drupal Views one can configure a relationship
between CiviCRM Events and CiviCRM Participants.
## <a name="bugs"></a>Bugs resolved
### Core CiviCRM
- **Handle smart groups created in previous Civis which include
This change fixes a bug where smart groups created in CiviCRM 5.4 based on a
search using a relationship break in CiviCRM 5.5 so that they work as
- **[dev/core#346](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/346) Online Pay Now
error when used from dashboard checksum link
This change fixes a bug where when a user accessed the CiviCRM user dashboard
using a checksum and then clicked the paynow link, the paynow link would
break, so that the pay now link takes you to pay now as expected.
- **Show ext version status even when directory not writeable
This change fixes a bug where extension updates were not showing if the
extension directory was not writable so that information about extension
updates are shown on the extensions tab regardless of whether the extension
directory is writabale.
- **Remove mcrypt warning except for affected sites.
This change makes it so that the System Check that warns people that mcrypt is
not available only shows on sites that store smtp passwords in their database
(the only users for whom this warning is applicable).
- **[dev/core#367](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/367) Fatal error /
SQL timeout in A-Z pager for advanced search by relationship with target group
for reciprocal relationship types
This change fixes a bug where advanced searches on reciprocal relationships
(ex: "spouse") and using the criteria "target contact is in group" on sites
with large numbers of relationships of that type would take a long time,
occasionally timing out entirely.
- **[dev/core#343](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/343) Long lines in
contact name or address overflow mailing labels
This change fixes a bug where PDF Mailing Labels generated by civi were not
wrapping appropriately so that they wrap and do run off the label.
- **[dev/core#351](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/351) ERROR: LoadForm
Pop-up w/out Params in URL
This change fixes a bug where the load form function used to open a form in a
pop up window was throwing an error if no parameters were included in the URL
so no error is thrown if no parameters are sent (and no parameters are
- **[dev/core#349](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/349) Scheduled
reminders list default sort does not work
This change fixes the default sort of the Scheduled reminders list so that it
sorts by title.
InnoDB Advanced Logging cannot be enabled on multi-lingual
This change makes it so that InnoDB Advanced Logging can be enabled on
multi-lingual sites using:
- **Fix recent item deduping & call hooks
This change fixes a bug where sometimes the same item would be added twice to
the "recent items" list.
- **Wrap long labels onto multiple lines to prevent text being cut off
This change makes it so that on front facing forms, long labels wrap on to
- **Navigation - Don't reprocess fully-formed urls
This change fixes an edge case where fully-formed urls in the menubar were
getting garbled so that relative urls, absolute urls and local urls are all
- **Fix CRM_ACL_API::whereClause to respect $contactId param
This adds support to the CMS based permission checking and ensures that
CRM_ACL_API::whereClause checks the permissions for the contact Id it is sent
(before this change it checked the permissions of the logged in user).
accessible ((https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12631)) (Preliminary Work)**
This change moves CiviCRM towards making the date picker accessible (one could
select a date from the calendar using control keys without using a mouse) by
moving the datepicker functionality to its own file.
- **[dev/core#295](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/295) Default 'from'
mail address is not the default one showing in 'send email'
This change makes it so that when sending an email using the "send email"
action if "Allow Mail to be sent from logged in contact's email address" is
disabled in settings the default from address is loaded into the from address
- **Further removal of instance of using LOWER() rather than relying on mysql
This change improves performance when searching on email_greeting,
- **Fix ReportInstance BAO to call post hook after save (instead of calling pre
This change improves the hook functionality in the ReportInstance BAO so that
one can call post hook after save and so that the pre hook is only called
- **[dev/core#297](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/297) permission
"access my cases and activities" is broken by CRM-21461
This change fixes the permission "access my cases and activites".
- **[dev/core#361](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/361) Mistake in Case
api spec description
This changes the text in the API Explorer for the entity Case for the
parameter Tags to read "Find cases with specified tags." before this change it
read "Find activities with specified tags.".
- **[dev/core#245](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/245) Duplicate
activities shown on case tab
This change fixes a bug where If there were multiple assignee/target contacts on
an activity, the activities were being duplicated on the case activities tab.
Additionally this change fixes a bug where if the activity is only allowed a
single instance and the user tried to add another, the link had an invalid
- **Don't duplicate activity when filing on case
This change fixes a bug where filing an activity on a case using the "File On
Case" link on the actvitytab/activity detail view would result in two
activities one related to the case and one not.
- **[dev/core#299](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/299) Decimal point
(Continuation of work)**
This change localizes the display of the amount on the update payment details
- **[dev/core#334](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/334) Public
contribution form and Checksums: billing information not loaded if using
This fixes a bug where when a user goes to a contribution page that is
configured to use multiple payment processors via a checksum link the billing
address section was not pre-populating so that the billing section does
- **[dev/core#119](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/119) Notice error
When recording a payment on a site that is configured not to use decimal
thousand separators, that configuration was not being respected for the
default amount. This change fixes the default amount to be localized
- **[dev/core#322](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/322) Contribution
checkbox field ((https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12652))**
This fixes a bug on contribution pages configured to accept donations onbehalf
of someone else and to include a profile with a checkbox where checking the
ensures that the form is populated with the onbehalf of contact's data.
- **Use cached version of payment processor.
This change fixes a bug where some payment processors when combined with Redis
were failing to complete transactions because Redis was caching the call to
- **[dev/core#325](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/325) Fatal error 'DB Error: no
such field' on Contribution detail report
This change fixes a bug where on the Contribution Detail report, selecting the
"Age" column would result in a fatal error so that the report includes Age as
Contribution Detail Report shows no amount if set to Soft Credit Only
- **[dev/core#341](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/341) "Contributions
made in Year X and not Year Y" custom search ignores date field
This fixes a bug where custom searches using the "Contributions made in Year X
and not Year Y" were not respecting the date parameters, so that date
parameters are respected.
- **[dev/core#327](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/327) PHP Fatal error:
Call to undefined method - Contribution Details report
This fixes a bug where checking the Gender column field on the Contribution
Details report resulted in a fatal error so that one can include a gender
column in this report.
- **Fix Undefined index: params in CRM_Event_BAO_Event::buildCustomProfile()
This change suppresses an undefined index notice that was showing when one
comes to an Event from an online payment provider.
- **[dev/core#344](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/344) Tell a Friend
mail does not include event title
This fixes a bug where when using the Tell-A-Friend option to send an email
the title of the event was appearing in the subject of the email, so that the
title of the event does appear in the subject of the email.
- **Ensure users with the perm "CiviEvent: access CiviEvent " can edit events
they have created.
This change fixes a bug where users with the permission "CiviEvent: access
CiviEvent" could create but not edit their events so that they can create and
edit their events.
- **GL-44 Admin price field options on event info page
This change ensures that on event info pages price set field options with the
visibility "admin" are only shown to admins.
- **[dev/mail#20](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/mail/issues/20) Preview screen
don't open until recipients list is built on mail compose screen
This change fixes a bug where when drafting a mailing one could not open the
preview mailing screen until the recipient count query had completed.
- **[dev/core#352](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/352) Ensure that when
adding recipients of previous mailings that contacts who are being excluded
are removed ((https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12712))**
This change makes sure when using recipients from a previous mailing as the
recipients of a mailing That any exclusions are respected.
- **[dev/mail#21](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/mail/issues/21) "Send test email"
may create duplicate contacts
This change fixes a bug where sending a test email to two contacts seperated
by a space and a comma would sometimes result in a duplicate contact being
- **pass mailingJobId to hook_tokenValues
This change ensures the mailingJobId is sent to hook_tokenValues.
- **BASW-240: 'Network Error' when creating membership type from contact
membership tab ((https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12700))**
This Change fixes a Network Error that was appearing when creating a membership
type from a contacts membership tab.
### Drupal Integration
- **[dev/core#311](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/core/issues/311) Upgrading
multilingual site causes DB Error
This change fixes a bug where upgrading a multilingual drupal site from
CiviCRM 4.4.7 to 5.4.0 causes a DB error so that one can upgrade a
multilingual drupal site without a DB error.
### Joomla Integration
- **[dev/joomla#2](https://lab.civicrm.org/dev/joomla/issues/2) Joomla
cron.php/cli.php fail on Windows server
This fixes a bug where on Joomla sites on Windows cron was failing so that
cron works for Joomla stes on Windows.
- **Make sure Joomla timezone is set for cron jobs
This change ensures that the CRON job is executed using the same timezone as
Joomla (and the same timezone that is configured for Joomla/CiviCRM/database
when running via web). Prior to this change the CRON job was being executed
with timezone set to UTC.
## <a name="misc"></a>Miscellany
- **Stop passing imProviders & phoneTypes - use CRM_Core_PseudoConstant:getLabel
- **Remove unused variables from process_participants job
- **Follow up on #12611 - adding in three data-integrity assertions.
- **Minor refactor, use sales tax trait to simplify sales tax functions
- **Drop custom CSS for Joomla CiviCRM menu so it works with shoreditch theme
- **Export minor refactor Move household relationship types to the processor
- **Code cleanup on Membership form when freezing fields in a recurring exists
- **Add test for new rounded money format functions
- **Minor comment and typo cleanup
- **Towards rationalising settings form & preferences form (partial of 12731)
- **Fix compatibility problem with CRM_Extendedreport_Form_Report_ExtendedReport
- **Fix teeny typo
- **[PHPUnit test only] Adding in assertions re: Line Item and Contribution
- **[NFC] comment fixes relating to doc blocks, spelling
- **[phpunit test only] - Add one additional data integrity check to ensure that
after Edit Fin…
- **NFC Add/update two comments
- **[NFC] Minor function extraction in report class.
- **(NFC) Fix incorrect reference of doTransferCheckout() in comments
- **NFC cleanup to Membership/Renewal form classes.
- **[CRM-21677](https://issues.civicrm.org/jira/browse/CRM-21677) Report
improvements ((https://github.com/civicrm/civicrm-core/pull/12703) and
- **Deduplicate setting of mailSent message
- **Setting form - function extraction
## <a name="credits"></a>Credits
This release was developed by the following code authors:
AGH Strategies - Alice Frumin, Andrew Hunt; Andrew Thompson; Australian Greens -
Seamus Lee; Calbasi - Joan Cervan Andreu; Calibrate - Wouter Hechtermans; Chris
Burgess; Circle Interactive - Dave Jenkins; CiviCoop - Klaas Eikelboom; CiviCRM -
Coleman Watts, Tim Otten; CiviDesk - Yashodha Chaku; CiviFirst - John Kirk;
CompuCorp - Vinu Varshith Sekar; Coop SymbioTIC - Mathieu Lutfy; Fuzion -
Jitendra Purohit; JMA Consulting - Monish Deb; John Kingsnorth; Joinery - Allen
Shaw; Lemniscus - Noah Miller; Lighthouse Design and Consulting - Brian
Shaughnessy; Megaphone Technology Consulting - Jon Goldberg; MillerTech - Chamil
Wijesooriya; MJW Consulting - Matthew Wire; PHD Computer Consultants - Chris
Cant; Pradeep Nayak; Progressive Technology Project - Jamie McClelland; Richard
van Oosterhout; Selwyn Tang; Semper IT - Karin Gerritsen; Third Sector Design -
Michael McAndrew; Wikimedia Foundation - Eileen McNaughton
Most authors also reviewed code for this release; in addition, the following
reviewers contributed their comments:
Agileware - Justin Freeman; Fuzion - Peter Davis; JMA Consulting - Joe Murray;
MillerTech - Chamil Wijesooriya; Oxfam Germany - Thomas Schüttler; sleewok;
Squiffle Consulting - Aidan Saunders
## <a name="feedback"></a>Feedback
These release notes are edited by Alice Frumin and Andrew Hunt. If you'd like
to provide feedback on them, please log in to https://chat.civicrm.org/civicrm
and contact `@agh1`.